SUHAIL AHMED M
Consultant Surgical Oncology
Dr Suhail Ahmed hails from a family of surgeons and has had special interest in surgeries from his undergraduate days. After completion of his under graduation from the renowned Sri Ramachandra Medical College and Research Institute, he joined the prestigious Southern Railways Headquarters Hospital where he developed his surgical skills.
While at railway hospital he acquired dual degree in General Surgery, DNB from the National Board of Examinations New Delhi and MRCS from the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh.
He spent five years at Railway Hospital working under stalwarts from different specialties including laparoscopic surgery, gastroenterology, oncology, urology, vascular surgery, neurosurgery, cardiothoracic and plastic surgery. He was always drawn to surgical oncology and had a special interest in gastro oncology.
After completing his term with Railway Hospital, he went on to train in Laparoscopic Surgery and Robotic Surgery at the World Laparoscopic Hospital Delhi. He was one of the youngest laparoscopic surgeons of his time.
He went forward and acquired a Doctor of Science in Surgical Gastroenterology and finally found his calling in Surgical Oncology. His interest grew in applying laparoscopy in gastroenterology and oncology.
He later joined the prestigious Apollo Cancer Centre, the most advanced oncology training centre in South India, where he worked with faculties of national and international fame and started applying his experiences in laparoscopy and robotic surgery in surgical oncology.
During his tenure in Apollo Hospital, he trained in various branches of oncology which include head and neck cancers, breast cancers, thoracic cancers, gastrointestinal cancers, gynecological cancers and soft tissue and bone cancers and performed advanced procedures in each of these specialties.
He is currently focusing on spreading cancer awareness and cancer prevention among people. He is working to make cancer treatment affordable and available to all. Another area of his interest is cancer screening in high-risk and familial cancer patients.
He performs novel surgical procedures in oncology which include,
- Laparoscopic and robotic surgery for thoracic, gastrointestinal and gynecological cancers
- Breast conservative surgery, sentinel node biopsy for breast cancer
- Fertility preserving surgeries for gynecological cancers in young women
- Hipec – Hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy for advanced gastrointestinal and gynecological cancers
- Functional resection in head and neck cancers maintaining cosmesis by microvascular reconstructive techniques
- Limb salvage surgeries for soft tissue and bone cancers.
MBBS (Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery)
Sri Ramachandra Institute of Medical College and Research center,
Chennai, Tamilnadu, India.
MRCS – Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh (Edinburgh) 2009
D.MAS Diploma in Minimal Access Surgery from World Association of Laparoscopic Surgery.
DNB (General Surgery)
National Board of Examinations, New Delhi
DSc Med (Surgical Gastro), Doctor of science from university of Chicago, USA
MS General Surgery (USA) Conferred from Texila American University
Fellow Of International College of Robotic Surgeons
DNB (Surgical Oncology), National Board of Examinations, New Delhi. Trained at Apollo Cancer Institute, Chennai.
- Member of Royal College of Surgeons, Edinburgh, Uk
- Member of World Association of Laparoscopic Surgeons
- Member of Society of American Gastroenterology and Endoscopic Surgery
- Lifetime Membership, World Association of Laparoscopic Surgery
- Lifetime Affiliation, Society of American Gastroenterology And Endoscopic SurgeryAffiliated with Texila American University
- Affiliated with University of Dublin, California and Conferred Doctor of Sciences in The Specialty of Surgical GastroenterologyLifetime Member with Association of Surgeons of India
- Lifetime Member of Indian Association of Surgical OncologyMember Of American Society of Clinical Oncology (Asco)
Awards and Recognitions
- Poster presentation in international conference of oncology on “Retroperitoneal Liposarcoma Presenting as An Inguino Scrotal Swelling” in Feb 2009
- Study of clinical staging of patients presenting with cancer breast, trend of the disease, treatment pattern and the response to the treatment, study conducted at southern railways headquarters hospital, Chennai, India between Feb 2007 to June 2009.
- Published unusual and aggressive case of gall bladder mass neuroendocrine tumor in Journal of Gastrointestinal Cancer in April 2019
- Paper and poster presentation related to oncology and won
prizes in ASICON – 2018 under the following headings:
- An unusual presentation of testicular tumor of mixed histology
- A rare case of cutaneous metastasis from pancreatic malignancy
- – a rare case of asymptomatic mediastinal mass
- Presented a paper and a poster in Apollo Conclave 2019 on the
- – 40 cases experience with cytoreductive surgery and HIPEC in Apollo Cancer Institute, Chennai
- – A unique case of giant esophageal leiomyoma
- – A rare case of thymic neuroendocrine tumor
Tamil Nadu Medical Council – TNMC 75866